From the Mind of a Thinker

From the Mind of a Thinker
From the Mind of a Thinker

Monday, October 17, 2011

"Life is long, you probably won't get hit by a bus, and you have to live with the decisions you make for the next 50 years"

This line came from Chris Rock in the super funny movie, "I Think I love My Wife," and this line keeps replaying in my head over and over again. I'm currently sitting at my desk at work bored out of my mind. I'm bored with this job and with life in general. I keep thinking, life can't possibly be about getting up every day, going to work just to pay the bills, and waking up the next morning just to do the same thing over again. Frankly, this is insanity. I can't imagine my days going like this every day for the next 40 years. Are you kidding me?. I'm also reminded of a quote from Tyrese; "If you don't follow your dreams, you're going to be waking up every morning at 6AM going to work for someone who did." The last few weeks I've been in seclusion. Just trying to concoct an escape plan. My mom thinks I;m crazy, but one thing I have learned from all this is money cannot buy you happiness or piece of mind. I know broke won't but you anything, but money isn't enough of a motivator for me anymore. In fact, I find myself buying things just to justify the fact that I wake up to go work for someone else who couldn't care any less if I lived or died. My latest piece of retail therapy; a diamond ring. Why? Just because. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do as far as mentoring and helping people get into school and change their lives. I wear a ton of different hats and truthfully, I love the feeling. But, I have a bigger vision on a larger scale, that doesn't confine me within four walls, telling me what to wear, and how long I get to be here today. My joy and happiness truly comes from helping people and giving back to my community; therefore, I will use my gifts to change lives. I constantly remind my mom of the difference between her generation and ours. Our parents, no matter what, would stay in an unhappy job, marriage, friendship, etc, for however long they needed to be. In my opinion, life shouldn't have to be this way and I'm sure this isn't what God intended for His children. We, on the other hand, are a lot more impulsive and fearless. We will leave before it even starts and that's what I admire about being young these days. It's just we have to master how to use this energy in a positive way. Going back to the infamous title, life really is long. We are living to be in the 100s. It's a lot more common these days than years earlier. The odds of having a freak accident are slim to none and the choices we make today directly affect where we end up in the future. Unfourtunately, it's too late for a lot of people. Today, I am making the conscious effort and decision to plan better for my future and follow my dreams. I encourage all readers to do the same. We get one chance at life, may as well enjoy while we are here. The first step in setting yourself free is becoming financially secure and stable. I'll speak on this more in depth later. Thanks for reading and make that step towards your future today.

No comments:

Post a Comment